Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Out into the yard
Steven and I are always late planting the garden.
We really need staff even for our tiny plot. But the time
has definitely come to start. I've pulled out most of the
forget-me-nots crowding every conceivable other form
of plant life. Now it's time to put in the ritual list. A
few years ago my brother, Andrew gave me a list
of what I must include, and every suggestion on it is one of my favorites. So here it is:
• Morning Glories -- Heavenly Blue
• Poppies - red
• Blue Delphiniums
• Ornamental Tree -- got them
• Sweet Peas (haven't tried those in a few years)
• Cosmos (have never got this together)
• Trumpet vine, (not yet)
• Datura (had to stop because the seed
pods are dangerous for pets).
He forgot red geraniums, which I love for
their smell and hardy success with
Here's an idyllic, 12"x 12" painting of our backyard,
based more on feeling than reality. When the
whole space is packed with the flowers I love,
I feel extremely happy.
Have a jubilant day.
- Barbara Muir
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- I paint and draw on commission and for shows. To commission a portrait, or purchase one of my paintings please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
A major highlight in my career? Drawing Oprah Winfrey live via Skype for her show "Where in the Skype are you? Galleries: Studio Vogue Gallery, Toronto, Canada. The Amsterdam Whitney Gallery, New York City. Gallery at the Porch Door, Kingston, Canada. Your positive comments on this blog mean the world to me. I'd love to hear from you!