The photo of me and Miranda Brouwers that appeared in the
Dutch newspaper, The Carillon on December 29, 2015.
We are standing in front of the landscapes
Miranda showed at the Florence Biennale in
At the Biennale we started the Happy
People Project, encouraging other artists
to work on being happy. We had so much fun.
On this the International Day of Happiness, I can think of
no better time to offer 10 reasons to be happy. But I'm so happy
today that the list went to 16 reasons, and I could go on, but it's time
to get on with the day.
1. I am happy because I have a loving husband.
2. I am happy because I have a loving family.
3. I am happy because I have kind, funny friends around
4. I am happy because I'm an artist, and I love making art.
5. It's the first day of spring, and my friend I walk with
tells me that spring begins at 5 o'clock today in Toronto -
that's in 10 minutes! Yay!
6. I'm happy because on my great walk with my friend the sky
was such a pure blue would make your heart sing just looking at it.
7. I'm happy becauseI finished reading the wonderful book Show Your Art
by Austin Kleon, which is amazing. If you haven't read
any of his books about creativity, do yourself a favour and
read one. Plus his weekly newsletter is great.
8. I'm happy because I went to the printer to get references for a new painting
I'm starting. And we shared a joke.
9. I'm happy because Steven and I bought super ready made dishes for our
supper, and we have delicious choices.
10. I'm happy because I talked to wonderful artist friends in The Netherlands,
and in Hamilton, and those conversations were a treat.
11. I'm happy because driving through the city streets today there's a whole different
vibe, even though there's snow everywhere. It's the first day of spring, and people
are walking with an attitude of "Hey. Everything is going to be alright!"
12. I'm happy that I've learned how to be happy, and am
still learning, and think I will learn more and more for the
rest of my life. And I'm grateful for all that you've
taught me on the subject.
13. I'm happy that I live in Canada -- never happier about that.
14. I'm happy that I love to read and I have a fabulous novel.
15 I'm happy that we have a wonderful TV show that we're
going to watch together tonight.
16. I'm happy that my dog seems much better after her surgery.
Have a loving your life day. Happy International Day of Happiness.
Happiest country in the world -- Finland. Canada ranks 13th happiest
country in the world this year.