My best boyfriend
Black marker and watercolour
on watercolour paper
12 x 14 inches
Barbara Muir © 2012In my classes we talk about 10 reasons to be
happy. Tonight I have many more than 10 reasons
to feel joy, but I am thinking in terms of bests.
My little sketch tonight is from an old photo
of the best boyfriend I ever had. In a rush to
clean up before the wonderful cleaners came today,
I've hidden the photo from myself so
although I'd like to make changes, I can't go farther
than this at the moment.
I decided that instead of reasons to be happy I'd
write 5 bests -- I could easily do 100 bests, but lets
stop at 5, because it's late and I am incredibly tired.
1. Best boyfriend ever -- my husband Steven --
still my best boyfriend ever.
2. Best beach in the whole world -- (the world
I've seen) -- the beach at the North Shore park
near Pugwash Nova Scotia at low tide.
3. Best most diverse city in the world -- Toronto
Canada, (but the massive push to high condos has to stop).
4. Two of the best cities for art that I've visited -- New
York and Florence. And I'd have to add to that London,
Paris and Stuttgart, Germany and Stockholm.
5. Best family ever -- mine.
Oh now I have to go on.
6. Best move I ever made that involved writing and
art -- starting this blog which let me meet you and
7. The best artist bloggers I've ever met.
Well heck I might as well go to 10.
8. Best flower people in the whole world,
Yangs on Avenue Road in Toronto, PegAnn's
Flowers at the Brickworks market in the summer
and fall, and Sunrise Greenhouses in Pugwash
9. Best year of my life -- this one.
10. Best book I've read in the past year --
Cutting for Stone, Abraham Verghese.
That's it for now. Best idea I've seen more
than once in the past couple of days -- express
gratitude, say thank you. Why? Being grateful
makes us happy. I am so happy that I know you.