Untitled (work in progress)
Acrylic on canvas
12 x 12 inches
Barbara Muir © 2012Last night I was walking my dog under a bright golden
moon thinking about salad. It's very hot here, and the
dog and I were tired. Not walking far I assured her,
just to the park -- where the cool from the trees hits you
with a surprising force. In the midst of wonder I
thought about salad's bounty -- because I'm painting salad.
10 Great things about salad1. Salad is usually the first course in a simple meal.
It is served when you're filled with anticipation.
2. Most salads are good for you (unless you heap
on mayo or fill then with bacon bits), so at this
point in the meal you are still virtuous.
3. Salad is pretty -- all that colour makes you feel
happy when you see it.
4. A well made salad is so delicious that there would
be something missing in the meal without it.
5. Salad is filling, but not heavy, so you may eat less
of the following courses, but you can still eat.
6. Part of a future salad is growing in my garden --
three tomato plants, planted themselves.
7. Good point -- salads frequently contain tomatoes
one of my all time favorite foods.
8. Tomatoes contain lycopene which I just read can protect
you from sunburn, and can also protect the body from
certain types of cancer. Well now!
9. Salad is easy to make.
10. And most important -- salad makes a great subject for a
The painting I'm showing you today is a work in progress.
I've been very happy painting it, thinking of the miracle of
eating a meal, photographing it, and then turning a
photo into a painting of both a happy time, and a delicious meal.
Have an-eating-whatever-you-like day.