Coffee with milk in a cup
8 x 8 inches
Acrylic on canvas
Barbara Muir © 2009
(Steven says they only serve coffee
this way in England, but actually
Starbucks uses cups and saucers too
sometimes. I don't take sugar, but I
put some on the side in the painting.
In Toronto now you can only get coffee
as take out, so no real china cups are
being used.) This painting seems perfect
for today. And I like that it went to live in
Texas with the artist Susan Carlin.
What's good in your life right now? In some ways there's never been
a more important time to think of and enjoy 10 reasons to be happy.
1. When I wake up in the morning, there is hot coffee in the pot in the
kitchen waiting for me. My husband makes it every morning, and on
the weekend brings it to me in bed. I am very happy to be in a loving
2. Yesterday the sun set at 5:03 p.m. That means we are moving closer,
and closer to longer days of light. That's a very happy thought.
3. I have a good and funny book on my iPad, Reasons to be Cheerful
by Nina Stibbe. It's about a girl working as a dental assistant. When I
was a teenager I got a job as a dental assistant part time for our dentist
I did that after school, and in the first two summers when I was in university.
My favourite part of the job was going out to get coffee for the staff because
I got to wear my uniform on the street, and I was very proud of it!
4. I started teaching my Monday night class this week, and the
students are wonderful.
5. We have still got our Christmas tree up -- it goes into the
backyard this weekend -- and we've been just sitting and talking
on the couch beside it at night after dinner. That's been creating
a happy mental space for us.
6. My family are all well, and staying happy during this current
lockdown. Staying well is our primary goal right now, and that is good.
7. I am happy that I get to think about making art, and have lots of
ideas for what I want to do.
8. You and your beautiful and amazing work are a blessing in my
current world. Tomorrow in our lockdown we are not allowed to
go out at all unless it's to get groceries, or go to the drugstore, or
9. We have two sweet cats and a dog who are completely oblivious
to this virus problem. They demand cuddles, games and food, and
time together, and I'm sure help keep us happy.
10. I am so lucky to have this blog, to have Instagram and Facebook.
My blog is a record of where I've been, and what I've been creating,
and thinking about. And social media gives me an entire world to
see, think about, witness, and learn about. Thank you.